The mother and Child bond are meant to begin before a child’s birth, however; it’s not the same for all! For some it’s instantly after they hold their child after birth, for some it may take a few months and for some, it may take much longer, whatever the duration is fact is a mother and child bond is something that is very special and is priceless!
There could be multiple reasons for the delay in establishing a mother and child bond including postpartum stress, complications during pregnancy and delivery and might be due to domestic stress and lack of support of family members. Although the bond between mother and child is special but it needs not to be established on an immediate effect.
Importance of Mother and Child Bond
Child-mother bonding is important because apart from boosting your self-esteem it gives your baby a sense of security and improves his chances of establishing stable relationships later in life. As per the researches done during the initial days after a child birth may sound challenging but is yet rewarding. However, establishing relationship with your child doesn’t require any tips but if you are finding it challenging to establish a mother-child bond here are a few suggestions that might help:
- Try spending more time with your infants by wearing them in a sling or a carrier. In this way you can keep in touch with your baby while working or performing your daily tasks.
- Get into a habit of giving gentle massage to your baby daily as this will help you to relive stress if you are facing post-partum depression and will also help you improve your relationship with your child.
- Making skin to skin contact with your infant can also help you in establishing mother-child bond between you two. Patting your baby back or pampering him with care and love also helps you in building that special bond.
- Breastfeeding your infant in the initial hours of birth and holding the child close and tight also strengthens the bond with your baby.
- Talking, laughing and playing with your child and helping them in eating, sleeping and studying also helps in creating bonding during their growing years.
Establishing bond with your child is not only about caring and loving setting limits and making the child understand and choose among right and wrong is also important. Accepting the unacceptable just for the sake of not saying no to your child is damaging for your child’s growth. For an example, allowing your child watching television beyond a defined timeline is harmful. Allowing him doing so can impact his vision and also sends a message that his desires will be fulfilled no matter what. However, while asking him to switch off the TV set don’t forget to put off your mobile phones as well. Remember, the mantra is to follow what you want your child to do!
Being a mother is a challenging job, perhaps it is one of the most rewarding yet the most demanding jobs in the world! And when you have that mother-child bond then this relationship becomes more beautiful and each effort taken is worth the cost!